Hi everyone,
I'd been thinking about this project. I've honestly been anxious to check the thread given my long absence. I don't actually get notifications, so I was surprised to see the activity.
I'm really happy to see that the good people of the forum have taken the torch and continued the development, especially considering the amount of tech debt in that codebase that was never originally intended to be used by anybody but me

. Hopefully the newer LLMs can give that repo the brutal code review it deserves LOL.
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the development of the tool, in whatever way that might be. I also looked through the fork briefly, and it seems good things are happening
Still with no ALPR setup in my near future and no time to spend on it (despite still being highly interested as a hobbyist), I'll confirm formally that I've stepped back from this project. It seems the fork is in good hands, and I would consider that to be the path forward now.
I'm writing this from a different computer that I fired up to check what was on my branch of the repository to see if I had anything to offer. It seems not, and that you guys have a solid direction for things. If anyone does end up wanting to discuss/chat, I can PM my email, which I will actually see and respond to, compared to notifications here.
The last thing that remains is my medium sized bucket of license plate images. Only certain versions of mikes model through CPAI actually uploaded both the full frames and the crops properly, but I am sitting on what seems to be at least somewhat valuable data for this community's purposes. Roughly 30GB of fulls and crops (tracked together). Depending on the model version, some images may require annotation, but I still suspect they might still be helpful.
As it read in the app, I stated the usage of those images to be for the purposes of improvement of our open detection and OCR models. They have been sitting, and I've declined to provide them for anything else. Might as well see if something can be made of them.
I'm not going to make the bucket public in order to respect the initial pledge to the users and their privacy, but if anyone known here working on training wants them, I will provide access.
IPcamtalk sends me email notifications for a bit after I log in, so I'll keep an eye on that and my PMs.
Again, super happy to see the idea carry on under somebody else. Makes my day to see it honestly after being such an awful maintainer haha. Bittersweet to not have a camera setup and keep tinkering on this, but I'm glad to see it sparked something to continue.
-Algertc