What can I get through 1/2" underground conduit?

Oct 4, 2026
1
1
Folsom, CA
Hi all, this is my first post here as I face a dilemma. I have no experience with conduit or attaching connectors to CAT6 cables, and I don't yet own the tools for this job.

I just paid a concrete guy to redo my driveway, and one of the goals is to add a camera at a motorized entry gate, plus a push button and keypad, all of which need be connected to the other side of the driveway. Naturally, I asked for conduit under the driveway. Problem is, Mister Concrete just assumed 1/2" ID conduit would be adequate, and now the concrete is cured. Foolishly, I didn't specify the size -- I just told him it was for "a network cable plus a few other wires" and I figured he'd supply 1"... after all, smaller would only make the job harder and the difference in material cost is pennies. Live and learn, too late to change it now.

The conduit crosses under the driveway at the gate, about 22 feet plus the stub up at each end. Altogether it's the POE cable, plus 5 wires for 12V, ground, common, and two more which are switched to common. All those wires can be tiny, but in addition to their own insulation, I'd prefer if they are all inside a single jacket to avoid stripping their individual insulation around sharp corners.

Or maybe I could also just tape them all around the periphery of the CAT6 cable? No?

Obviously I'll need to run the CAT cable without connectors and add them after running it through, but I know nothing about what type of CAT6 cable I need, what to use for the other wires, or even how to attach RJ45's in a weather-and-bug resistant way. If I had larger conduit I could have started with a simple "mouse on a string" and used pre-built cables, but this seems much more work. I haven't even bought any tools or cables yet. General guidance?
 
  • Like
Reactions: mat200
Hi all, this is my first post here as I face a dilemma. I have no experience with conduit or attaching connectors to CAT6 cables, and I don't yet own the tools for this job.

I just paid a concrete guy to redo my driveway, and one of the goals is to add a camera at a motorized entry gate, plus a push button and keypad, all of which need be connected to the other side of the driveway. Naturally, I asked for conduit under the driveway. Problem is, Mister Concrete just assumed 1/2" ID conduit would be adequate, and now the concrete is cured. Foolishly, I didn't specify the size -- I just told him it was for "a network cable plus a few other wires" and I figured he'd supply 1"... after all, smaller would only make the job harder and the difference in material cost is pennies. Live and learn, too late to change it now.

The conduit crosses under the driveway at the gate, about 22 feet plus the stub up at each end. Altogether it's the POE cable, plus 5 wires for 12V, ground, common, and two more which are switched to common. All those wires can be tiny, but in addition to their own insulation, I'd prefer if they are all inside a single jacket to avoid stripping their individual insulation around sharp corners.

Or maybe I could also just tape them all around the periphery of the CAT6 cable? No?

Obviously I'll need to run the CAT cable without connectors and add them after running it through, but I know nothing about what type of CAT6 cable I need, what to use for the other wires, or even how to attach RJ45's in a weather-and-bug resistant way. If I had larger conduit I could have started with a simple "mouse on a string" and used pre-built cables, but this seems much more work. I haven't even bought any tools or cables yet. General guidance?

1/2"

I'd run cat5e or cat6 that does not have a spline in it. Definitely can't run with connectors, so you will need to terminate it yourself.

I was able to run 3 cat5e cables in 1/2" emt ( you've got 5 more wires to run, so you will want to check how well that all fits )

Well, since it is under ground, I would look at burial rated cable, that maybe significantly thicker and so you want to check if that is possible.

For the pull I would tape all the cables / wires together in one pull run.
 
Since everything besides the camera is low voltage, the easiest way to get your 5 extra wires into one jacket is a second Cat6 instead of loose wires. That gives you 8 conductors, enough for 12V, ground, common and the two switched lines, and you can double up conductors on 12V and ground to cut voltage drop.

Two cables should physically fit. 1/2" Sch 40 PVC is about 0.60" ID, and unshielded gel-filled direct burial Cat6 is around 0.27" OD, so two of them take roughly 40% of the inside area. Snug, but workable on a 22 ft run with some pulling lube. Shielded direct burial is closer to 0.32" OD, which gets very tight with two, so check the OD on the spec sheet before you buy and stick with unshielded.
 
I imagine Folsom is pretty rocky. You might be able to drive a larger conduit concentric to the 1/2" using it as a guide. I have successfully driven conduit through sand. A water jet also helps. The first foot of conduit will be destroyed from the abrasion but can be cut off. Maybe attach the 1/2" to the 1" and pull it out as you push the other in. I have done this several times. After 1", the price jumps pretty drastically. Chatgpt can tell you how much each size will hold but might be low since you are not allowed to fill the conduit.
 
Anytime you use a contractor, it is to your advantage to write up a spec list of what you want in the contract. Never leave it to the contractor to do as he wishes. If there is a major problem, you don't have a leg to stand on.

As others have said, you can use a water jet and a garden hose to tunnel under the drive.




Also, this:

 
  • Like
Reactions: mat200