[Solved] Looking for Dahua camera with excellent low-light performance for moving targets (Alternative to IPC-HDW2449TH-S-PROX)

cam-da

Young grasshopper
Nov 3, 2023
44
3
Germany
Hi everyone,

I am looking for a Dahua IP camera that delivers outstanding performance in low-light and dark environments.

During my research, I came across the Dahua IPC-HDW2449TH-S-PROX (4MP WizColor X). The specs look excellent: a 1/1.8" CMOS sensor and a minimum illumination of 0.00007 Lux at F0.8 sound incredibly promising. However, this model is not yet available on the market.

Does anyone have hands-on experience with currently available models that offer similar low-light capabilities?

There is one crucial requirement for my setup: Most YouTube reviews only showcase still images or static scenes. For a professional application, that doesn't help much. As soon as people start moving quickly or running, the night shots on most cameras suffer from severe motion blur and smearing.

This is exactly what I need to avoid. My main requirement is crisp, sharp images at night even during fast movement, so that faces remain clearly identifiable without any ghosting or blurring.

Based on your own experience, which Dahua camera would you recommend for this specific use case?

Thanks in advance for your help!
 
  • Like
Reactions: mat200
Do a search here and you will find most do not find the PRO series to be an improvement over the long-time gold standard 5442 series camera.

I mean they do produce a nice bright static image at night, but motion is complete trash.

Here is one such thread of many with a simple search.

 
delivers outstanding performance in low-light and dark environments.
What exactly do you mean by that? I’ve been using the IPC-PTS2449C-4E3Z-S-PV-PRO model - which is part of the WizColor series - for a few days now. So far, though, I haven't been particularly impressed with the color mode. See my posts starting here: IMOU camera with Dahua NVR

For the moment, I’m still hoping I might be able to improve the night footage by tweaking various camera settings - such as those recommended by user @bigredfish. But I haven't had time to look into that further yet.

If I’ve understood user @bigredfish correctly, there are various other user experiences with WizColor models out there, and it seems other users aren't exactly raving about them either. :lol: However, I haven't yet had the time to read through the various discussions on the subject of WizColor models.
 
Last edited:
What exactly do you mean by that? I’ve been using the IPC-PTS2449C-4E3Z-S-PV-PRO model - which is part of the WizColor series - for a few days now. So far, though, I haven't been particularly impressed with the color mode. See my posts starting here: IMOU camera with Dahua NVR

For the moment, I’m still hoping I might be able to improve the night footage by tweaking various camera settings - such as those recommended by user @bigredfish. But I haven't had time to look into that further yet.

If I’ve understood user @bigredfish correctly, there are various other user experiences with WizColor models out there, and it seems other users aren't exactly raving about them either. :lol: However, I haven't yet had the time to read through the various discussions on the subject of WizColor models.

Dang I just looked at that thread - those are pretty poor. A 2019 model 5442 would do better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JDreaming
Yes, the lack of sharpness in color mode surprised me too, :) because my older Dahua cameras actually deliver a sharper image at night using IR. So, I’m still hoping I might be able to optimize things a bit via the settings. But as I said, I haven't had time to look into it further yet.

At some point in the near future, I’ll probably have to grab my tablet or laptop, walk back and forth in front of the cameras in the dark at night, and try out all the different settings. :lol:
 
  • Like
Reactions: JDreaming
Against all other evidence/advice to date, it has been suggested that setting the camera's video encoding settings to H.265, General, VBR, Quality 6, max 6144, I frame 150, smooth stream 100 produces the best images seen ever out of a surveillance camera, but we have yet to see video or image examples of an object in motion in low light conditions with these settings.....

Maybe you can provide said examples?

And yes, the camera produces a very nice bright static image in low light conditions. Sadly, I am not using these cameras to win best picture at the county fair LOL.
 
Normally, I still "only" use H.264 here because I have all my Dahua cameras integrated into Home Assistant, and the HA ONVIF integration requires H.264 - it doesn't work with H.265. However, a few days ago, I actually had to switch the main stream to H.265. I have my Dahua cameras connected to a satellite receiver running the Enigma OS/OpenATV (something likely unfamiliar in the US), :lol: and while it had always displayed the H.264 streams from my other Dahua cameras without issues, it simply refused to work with the new IPC-PTS2449C-4E3Z-S-PV-PRO. And yes, I know how to do this; I spent hours tinkering with every possible setting because I couldn't - and still can't - understand why the H.264 streams from all my other Dahua cameras display perfectly on the receiver, yet the H.264 stream from the IPC-PTS2449C-4E3Z-S-PV-PRO - configured with the exact same settings - fails to work.

When I switched to the H.265 stream, it worked without a hitch. So now, I use H.265 for the main stream and H.264 for the sub-stream, allowing me to keep that one integrated into Home Assistant. Since I'm using H.265 for the main stream anyway, I'll naturally be "playing around" with the settings for it.

If I find the time to delve further into the IPC-PTS2449C-4E3Z-S-PV-PRO's settings, I can post some sample recordings here. Right now, though, I don't know when I'll get around to it.

I am not using these cameras to win best picture at the county fair
I’m not looking to win any awards with the camera footage, :lol: but a reasonably sharp image - where, for instance, you can actually make out faces at night - is the bare minimum I expect, and it’s certainly what I’m used to from my previous Dahua camera with IR. :) If I wanted blurry night-time images, I might as well just buy a Reolink model. :rofl:
 
Many thanks for all the descriptions. Does anyone know of a video where I can see the camera's night-time performance? I am interested in both types of night footage (color and black-and-white). Ideally, I would like to see—as I mentioned earlier—people walking or moving quickly near the camera at night, for instance in total darkness. I want to be able to clearly recognize people's faces. I would even be willing to install an additional infrared light if necessary, provided the results yield clearly recognizable faces.
 
If you are refering to my recommendation of the 5442 series, one thing this forum doesn't have a shortage of is examples of the 5442 (54IR) series camera in action.

Many review threads as well.

If nobody adds any, when I get in front of the computer I will provide some.
 
  • Like
Reactions: JDreaming
Thank you for the information you have shared with me so far. I would appreciate it if you could provide a video showing that a sharp image is actually possible while in motion. I tried to find such videos in the forum, but unfortunately, I couldn't find any—or rather, I only found videos where the image isn't sharp during movement.

Many thanks.
 
Many thanks for all the descriptions. Does anyone know of a video where I can see the camera's night-time performance? I am interested in both types of night footage (color and black-and-white). Ideally, I would like to see—as I mentioned earlier—people walking or moving quickly near the camera at night, for instance in total darkness. I want to be able to clearly recognize people's faces. I would even be willing to install an additional infrared light if necessary, provided the results yield clearly recognizable faces.

I don’t have the latest “PROX” variant, but the earlier (still current) PRO versions were as described by others above, less than ideal.

I still recommend the 5442 series

Three things:

1- B&W/IR or Color? I’ve found a 5442 (where ambient light isn’t sufficient) without onboard white LEDs and a $20 solar motion flood (or other external light) to be superior in image quality to the newer models, all of which use same/similar sensors and AI to “enhance” the image

2- distance.? Makes a big difference as to which model

3- there’s “Good” and “Good enough” image quality. Some don’t make much of a distinction. After 15 years messing with them, I’ve decided for me, “Good enough” in most cases isn’t Good enough! ;)
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: JDreaming
Sample
5442 Z4 variant (8-32mm lens) at about 52 ft

View attachment 249518


View attachment 249519
The image you're getting there looks impressive;

Is this the camera you are using? the "-S3" (2023) model

what I’d be interested to know now is:

- which light sources were active while you were in black-and-white mode?
(I ask because you mentioned earlier that when ambient light isn't sufficient, you can't get a good image without the built-in white LEDs and a twenty-dollar solar floodlight or some other external light source.)

- and what exposure time—or shutter setting—were you using?
 
Settings
z4-1.jpg z4-2.jpg z4-3.jpg


There are two side by side cameras aimed that direction.
The other is a normal 5442 2.8-12mm varifocal, an upgraded model (cat at about 18ft waiting on me for breakfast)
So both IR's point that way.

There is also a small wifi cam on my neighbor across the streets house you can see the IR from, but its not pointing at and adds nothing to the guy walking. Its actually very weak and actually points too the left in that scene

I have to keep Overexposure off because its implementation is not optimal. It darkens too much too fast.
So I compensate by keeping shutter fast and on the normal 5442 I dial down the Exposure Compensation,
Its a balancing act as I otherwise have trouble with people walking towards the cameras at night down the driveway getting blown out by too much IR

Every scene is different



192.168.1.110_Drive-5442H-ZHE_main_20260923052426_@1.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: JDreaming
Vehicle moving slightly faster than the walker

yes the tree limb interferes with the IR, and yes I could angle it away from it more, but I actually have an overexposure problem here because of the 2 cams so it works out nicely by taming the IR

192.168.1.110_Drive-5442H-ZHE_main_20260913005444_@1.jpg
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Reactions: JDreaming
Here's a couple more 5442's crossing with a solar flood in between. The backyard is quite dark at night
The flood just helps definition

These are running 0-5ms exposure, 55Gain, 55Exp Comp, 45DNR


View attachment 192.168.1.110_ch6_20260730215225_20260730215321.mp4


This clip shows the 2nd solar flood on the dock facing into the yard.
Again not a huge thing, but definitely adds to contrast/definition of the target

View attachment 192.168.1.110_ch10_20260909225837_20260909225902.mp4


View attachment 192.168.1.110_ch6_20260912015724_20260912015732.mp4
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much for the interesting insights and the perspectives you shared; that definitely helps me with my matter.