PTZ LPR Help

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As some of you know I use a PTZ as a long range (almost 200 ft) LPR. My old PTZ the shots look great however with my new PTZ they look a little pixelated. I've tried adjusting the settings and that didn't help either. If you look carefully at the video when the car comes into the shot the video gets a little dark for a second and goes back to normal. I've included images with my old camera, new camera and also my settings. I hope it's just my settings I set wrong and not a limitation of the new PTZ.

Was hoping someone here can help, tagging a few of you just in case you don't see this post. Thank you!
@wittaj @Parley @bigredfish @lulu5kamz @samplenhold @TonyR

Old camera 4MP 1/2.8"

New camera 4MP 1/1.8"

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
My Z12 does this as well. I think it’s a gain issue. I’ve never found a fix for it other than zooming out.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Thats normal on some cameras with some settings. The camera is auto adjusting Gain within your specified limits. Its actually beneficial most of the time in that on a bright sunshine day, it can help reduce glare. I run an exposure range during the day and see it.

I think the only way to eliminate it would be to set a fixed range on Gain like 50-50, but that will create other undesirable effects depending on the light and object. Objects it sees as "close up" ie heavily zoomed" that take up a lot of the scene seem to set it off

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+ 1 all of above. The bigger sensor lets in more light than your older one, so it probably have a bigger range spread.

We had another post just this week talking about it:

jd415

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried adjusting the gain and it didn't help. Is this just the way this camera is? If so I guess I will switch back to the old one but I'm really trying to avoid that.