HOA Bans Most Security Cameras : Steve Lehto

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Jan 17, 2017
19,637
32,735
HOA Bans Most Security Cameras
Steve Lehto



This video, presented by attorney Steve Lehto, explores a controversial decision by a Homeowners Association (HOA) outside Nashville, Tennessee, to ban most security cameras (0:22-0:37).

Key takeaways include:

  • The HOA's Rationale: The association cites the need to maintain consistent architectural standards and protect the privacy of neighbors as primary reasons for the ban (0:50-1:03).
  • The Exception: While most cameras are prohibited, the HOA will permit doorbell cameras provided they do not damage the building's exterior, adhere to community standards, and are pointed solely at the owner’s residence—not toward other homes or the street (2:35-2:58).
  • Community Impact and Opposition: Residents and others have expressed concern over the decision, noting that security cameras have previously helped local police solve crimes, including cases involving aggravated assault (3:18-3:31). Opponents argue that modern cameras are small, unobtrusive, and essential for property safety and package protection (1:15-1:21, 4:32-4:43).
  • Legal Perspective: Steve Lehto discusses the complexities of property ownership within HOAs, explaining that even if an association doesn't technically own a homeowner's specific area, they often retain the power to dictate rules for those spaces (1:51-2:02). He encourages potential buyers to review all HOA rules thoroughly before purchasing a home (5:34-5:41, 9:15-9:18).




1791296637189.png
 
Interesting

The covenants of the HOA I was involved in didn’t allow the BOD to make rulings like that that weren’t already in the covenants without a 60% super majority homeowner vote.

ARB rulings obviously leave room for interpretation, but I think this one could be successfully legally shot down.

The primary reason for an HOA is preservation of home values. Period .
 
How can you install the video doorbell and not have it pointed at your neighbor directly across the street?
Exactly!
How many FRONT doors of homes in suburban areas do you know of that a) do NOT face a street and b) do NOT have a house across from them.
I sure can't think of any. Out here in the boonies maybe but not in most areas where you could find housing that has a HOA or the like.
 
Exactly!
How many FRONT doors of homes in suburban areas do you know of that a) do NOT face a street and b) do NOT have a house across from them.
I sure can't think of any. Out here in the boonies maybe but not in most areas where you could find housing that has a HOA or the like.
I’m in a suburban HOA and my doorbell does not face the street and I don’t have a house across the street. I also don’t have a video doorbell so there’s that.
 
I’m in a suburban HOA and my doorbell does not face the street and I don’t have a house across the street. I also don’t have a video doorbell so there’s that.
Yep.....I had a feeling you're kinda special...<wink wink> :cool: