Garden camera recommendation

Reaction score
Hey,

I have had a couple cameras, so I know what I am looking for I am just a little lost.
I need 90 deg FOV with lowlight/color night mode. There is just sooo many bugs that I have to rely on supertall lights and there is actually quite a bit of light pollution coming form neighbors, so my low light performance is better than average. (I have one ColoVu camera and I am considering adding some lights only after tree leaves came in are obstructing some of it)
Would be nice that could read a licence plate at 13-15 meter range (will be mounted 3 m high ) and make out human shapes at max of 25 meters (for AID detection).
The area that needs coverage is more narrow than wide 15x30m so I was thinking maybe this would be good for varifocal cam but I am not sure I need it and also...
I am looking be fairly budget conscious meaning I am trying to fit in 100 EUR and resale deal hunting is my primary option I am actually looking at retail only if I want to see if the price right.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey,

I have had a couple cameras, so I know what I am looking for I am just a little lost.
I need 90 deg FOV with lowlight/color night mode. There is just sooo many bugs that I have to rely on supertall lights and there is actually quite a bit of light pollution coming form neighbors, so my low light performance is better than average. (I have one ColoVu camera and I am considering adding some lights only after tree leaves came in are obstructing some of it)
Would be nice that could read a licence plate at 13-15 meter range (will be mounted 3 m high ) and make out human shapes at max of 25 meters (for AID detection).
The area that needs coverage is more narrow than wide 15x30m so I was thinking maybe this would be good for varifocal cam but I am not sure I need it and also...
I am looking be fairly budget conscious meaning I am trying to fit in 100 EUR and resale deal hunting is my primary option I am actually looking at retail only if I want to see if the price right.
1) I need 90 deg FOV with lowlight/color night mode

2) Would be nice that could read a licence plate at 13-15 meter range (will be mounted 3 m high )

3) and make out human shapes at max of 25 meters

and ..
4) I am looking be fairly budget conscious meaning I am trying to fit in 100 EUR

Hi @Povilas.Sid

You will need to decide what matters most on the list you have .. so far, it seems to be a separate camera per each requirement as there is no one camera that is affordable that gets you all of those requirements at the same time.

Also your budget, is it per camera or total ?

I think you're going to have to decide what functionally is the most important to accomplish on your list.

If you are new to this, get one 4MP 1/1.8" varifocal camera ( Dahua OEM or HIkvision OEM ) and start playing around and learning what is possible ..

Reaction score
I am looking for something around 100 EUR.
Keep in mind that shipping stuff from US or germany adds another ~20 EUR, so ~80 EUR
Some stuff crops up in my local market without the shipping tax so I was looking on recommendations what keep an eye out.

There is reason why I separated things into: "I need" and "Nice to have"

I tried the ebay OEM route... camera did not survive the winter i mean not really...

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Whether IR or visible led it’s going to attract moths and in turn caterpillars that’ll attack your plants.

Reaction score
Whether IR or visible led it’s going to attract moths and in turn caterpillars that’ll attack your plants.
Thanks, I am aware I am going to try and limit that to an extent by placing light sources a little bit further away from plants and not relying on camera IR lights.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks, I am aware I am going to try and limit that to an extent by placing light sources a little bit further away from plants and not relying on camera IR lights.
Keep us posted on what you discover.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for something around 100 EUR.
Keep in mind that shipping stuff from US or germany adds another ~20 EUR, so ~80 EUR
Some stuff crops up in my local market without the shipping tax so I was looking on recommendations what keep an eye out.

There is reason why I separated things into: "I need" and "Nice to have"

I tried the ebay OEM route... camera did not survive the winter i mean not really...
Many of us have picked up nice cameras from empiretecandy here .. tho I think we spend a bit more on a camera .. can ask if he can get a camera to you without too many issues.

If so most go with a varifocal 4mp and 1/1.8" sensor model