Fw for Dahua cameras

miljume

n3wb
Feb 11, 2020
13
1
Sweden
I was recently hacked and understand that it was related to a vulnerability mentioned in DHCC-SA-202106-001. I have 2 different models (both purchased from Empiretech): SD49425XB-HNR (V2.800.1341000.0.R.P9.2522.UN.NR, Build Date: 2020-03-12) and IPC-HDW5442TM-ASE (V2.800.0000000.19.R, Build Date: 2020-07-09). From what I understand these FW needs to be patched but I can't find FW files from Empiretech. I don't want to lose the auto tracking on the 49425. Can you help where to go?

BR Mike
 
How are your cameras exposed, e.g, how did you get hacked? P2P? Port forwarding? Infected device on the LAN?
I am going to offer my potentially controversial opinion: whilst I am all for upgrading firmwares to patch vulnerabilities, my approach is basically to always treat IP cams and NVRs as low-security (ironic I know, I mean in terms of network security) devices, which will be hacked if sufficiently exposed.

E.G, I would never be happy exposing an IP camera that I care about via a port forward, even with the latest and greatest firmware. I also am mostly not comfortable using manufacturer P2P solutions, although these can often be a step better than a wide open port forward.

So, I simply isolate the cameras from the internet, VLAN, decent firewall, all the usual stuff you can find here: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!)

Then, I don't even have to worry about whether the firmware is bulletproof or not - I might upgrade for a new feature (if I need it), otherwise I have no need.


I don't know if that makes sense or helps. In a nutshell, perhaps focus on isolating the cameras, instead of patching the cameras themselves?
 
  • Like
Reactions: HorsemanWalnut