DHCP or static?

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just setup a VLAN for my cameras and have only put one camera on the vlan to test it out. All my cameras are static ip that is how i kept track of what camera was what.

So i don't know if i should still use static or set them all to DHCP so the new vlans dhcp will give them a IP if doing dhcp i will no longer know the password for that camera as i kept track by the ip in a spreadsheet but i can keep track by there MAC?

Not sure what others do. :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Best to do static, unless you want to wake up one morning to the router rebooted and re-assigned different IP addresses to your cams and now they are all messed up in BI lol, even though the new versions of BI can keep track via MAC, but I want control so I know where to find the cameras LOL.

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Best to do static, unless you want to wake up one morning to the router rebooted and re-assigned different IP addresses to your cams and now they are all messed up in BI lol, even though the new versions of BI can keep track via MAC, but I want control so I know where to find the cameras LOL.
I can tell my router to keep the IP once it's been assigned to avoid that.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What happens if your router goes belly up and you get a new one?

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I keep a backup of the config.

I'm on Unfi forever after experiencing the other routers, netgear, asus, synology .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can tell my router to keep the IP once it's been assigned to avoid that.
I keep a backup of the config.

I'm on Unfi forever after experiencing the other routers, netgear, asus, synology .
OK, it sounds like you have a solution for every point raised..... so what is it you're asking? :idk:

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For starters you don't need to have different passwords for each camera, if you have them properly secured from the Internet.

Static IP for everything is the way to go
I thought about using the same pass for all cameras didn't know if that was a good idea. I am going to use static.....what a pain changing all them!! i really like
Your browser is not supported.
Use the latest version of the browser to access the web interface:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What happens if you're using static ip's and your router goes belly up and your new one is a different subnet?

There's any number of what ifs but you can't account for all of them so use a configuration that is easily managed and suitable for what you have now, not what you might have in the future.

Which in my case is dhcp using reserved addresses.
Once the camera has an address it's not going to change.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What happens if you're using static ip's and your router goes belly up and your new one is a different subnet?

There's any number of what ifs but you can't account for all of them so use a configuration that is easily managed and suitable for what you have now, not what you might have in the future.

Which in my case is dhcp using reserved addresses.
Once the camera has an address it's not going to change.
I would simply make the new router the same IP address of the old router. Why would I want to reconfigure my internal network because of a default IP of a router - it isn't hard to change it to what one previously had.

I have had multiple different brands of routers over the years, each with a different default IP subnet, but simply making it the same as the previous one is pretty simple to do.

That seems simple enough and easily managed to me...

Last edited:

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My cameras are on a separate NIC and are not connected to a router or any kind of switch that assigns IPs.

But if they were and I got a new router, I would simply make the new router the same IP address of the old router. Why would I want to reconfigure my internal network because of a default IP of a router - it isn't hard to change it to what one previously had.

In your specific situation the router is irrelevant to the network that the cameras are on.
Changing the IP of the router is a good option if your cameras relied on it.
Like I said there's any number of what ifs and the solutions to those are just as varied.

Changing routers is usually still a pain though depending on whatever else you need to reconfigure (wifi, rules etc).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I would simply make the new router the same IP address of the old router. Why would I want to reconfigure my internal network because of a default IP of a router - it isn't hard to change it to what one previously had.

I have had multiple different brands of routers over the years, each with a different default IP subnet, but simply making it the same as the previous one is pretty simple to do.

+1^^^^.

I've had 2 routers in 8 years here and probably 3 routers at several clients' houses in 10 years....all I had to do was log into the router and change its subnet and the range of its DHCP server. In and out in less than a minute.

My cameras and the clients' cameras all had been assigned unique static IP's that were outside the router's DHCP pool. I've been doing it this way for a number of years because up until 4 or 5 years ago the local ISP-supplied ADSL modem/router combo (CenturyLink, AT&T, TDS) did not have the feature to make IP reservations. :cool:

Last edited:

EDCK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
+1^^^^.

I've had 2 routers in 8 years here and probably 3 routers at several clients' houses in 10 years....all I had to do was log into the router and change its subnet and the range of its DHCP server. In and out in less than a minute.

My cameras and the clients' cameras all had been assigned unique static IP's that were outside the router's DHCP pool. I've been doing it this way for a number of years because up until 4 or 5 years ago the local ISP-supplied ADSL modem/router combo (CenturyLink, AT&T, TDS) did not have the feature to make IP reservations. :cool:
Just wondering what your go to router is? I've been very happy with the dream machine se.

25 years ago my go to was a little blue box linksys wrt54g lol

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's what I'm running.
I quite like it but I'm finding the wifi a bit lacking these days.
The range or speed or ???
I have 1.0 Gig fiber and we stream 4K video over its 5Ghz to a TV, not a hitch. Even though the Netgear is only 12 feet away from the TV it's also hitting a Reolink doorbell through solid brick about 3 feet away and again, no issues.

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The range or speed or ???
It suffers a little when everyone is on the wifi smashing it plus the signal can be a bit lacking in some parts of the house.
I've been looking at getting some TP-Link deco m4 mesh units to chuck around the house.