(CRITICAL) Public service announcement: Watch out when swapping sata power headers from swann to hikvision

Cartel

n3wb
Aug 8, 2021
23
6
Canada
I got a hikvision DS80255P based device that spent some time outdoors. the sata power header pins where it plugs onto the mobo was black and corroded. I been running a swann 4575 for years and wanted to upgrade to the hikvision.
I looked at the swann sata header and it looked identical except the swann has a single sata and the hikvision has dual. everything looked right so I swapped it out thinking sata is sata right? and thankfully left the 2tb purple in there and not use my 4tb.
Well things escalated quickly when the unit wouldn't power up. I tried a few times then unplugged the drive and it powered up.

To make a long story short, the swann sata header has the 12v (yellow) and the 5v (red) reversed and the 2tb drive has gone to a better place.
Its embarrassing but I thought if I could help another person avoid this, it would be worth the shame.
the 2tb was low hours too, and they aren't cheap anymore.

anyways I depinned the yellow and red and swapped them and now using it with a new 6tb. It could have been so much worse if I kept swapping every drive I had frying them all till I figured it out. that would have been a nightmare.

DSC04093.JPGDSC04163.JPGDSC04164.JPGDSC04165.JPGDSC04166.JPGDSC04167.JPG