BI server froze and stopped recording when I needed it.

Ri22o

Known around here
Jul 30, 2020
2,410
4,727
Indiana
My BI server locked up and didn't record for almost 4 hours the other day and, of all times, right in the window where I needed to go back and review something. (Not the server, per se, but BI was not happy)

I noticed it had locked up when I went to check something at 8:30, so I restarted the server. The next day my neighbor asked me to check something, and this is when I realized I had nothing recorded from around 5 to 8:30 when I restarted the machine.

How can I keep this from happening, because this isn't the first time. There have been other times where it's gone days. I am not sure what is causing it, but I do have memory creep and I am guessing it could be related to that.

Should I just schedule Windows to restart once a week? I think this would be the easiest option, but wasn't sure what others might suggest.
 
First questions what version are you running! Is the BI server running on dedicated hardware or in some sort of virtual environment? Are you running AI if so is it CPAI or the built in BI AI?
 
Are you running BI as a service and if so do have the service set to restart if it fails?

Is there anything in the BI logs related to it crashing?
I am, but I don't think it actually "failed" as in a crash. When I went to restart the system I saw the CPU data at the bottom of BI was pegged at 100%. The log shows nothing helpful.
So you are running V5, is the correct, would it not have been easier to just report the actual version?
Yes, v5. No, because that would have required remoting into the server to get the actual version as opposed to a generalization.
It is 5.9.9.36.
Do you have SD cards in the cameras?
I do, but they obviously only capture the blocks that are triggered. Fortunately it was enough to see what I needed to see, but it would have been nice to also have had the sub streams to scrub through for additional context/audio.
With that, I had one camera that showed 100% capacity on the SD card, but none of the sparse, available clips had any video to them. It was super weird. I formatted the card and it seems to be working, but very odd.