which has better image? ir or led illuminator

fekry

Young grasshopper
Feb 13, 2025
40
6
USA
I was wondering if i am going to add extra light source to my installation, which would have better image? IR illuminators or White LED Illuminators ?
I dont mind the led always on
 
Infrared travels further distances and is brighter.

It comes down to do you want color or B/W images, along with distance and whether it is for identify or observe qualities.

The further the distance, the more light that is needed and white light to capture at 100 feet will be a lot of white light.
 
  • Like
Reactions: fekry
Is it same to assume that the particular camera DOES see IR? The "full color" ones that have only white LED's and no IR LED's do not so adding an outboard IR emitter is pointless.
 
  • Like
Reactions: fekry
assuming camera has ICR, and distance is the same just 50ft, and assuming you dont have preference between B/W or colour video.
which would give more clear video ? I read that white led should be better than IR, so I wanted to make sure about that, because branded cctv White LED Illuminators are much much cheaper on ebay and occasionally can be found newish at really good prices
 
It’s not as simple as assumed.

It takes a lot more white light than IR to adequately light a scene generally speaking

I’ll try and demonstrate after dark tonight