Dahua Keeps Changing IP When Static

Reaction score
Hello all,

Please if anyone could advice and a fix.

I have 7 X IPC-HDW4431EM-AS onto a Hikvision 8 channel NVR (Brand new) ONVIF protocol.

All 7 x Cameras are set to static IPs and working currently however after a few days some cameras will change IP address (last digit) and there for "no image" will show.

Can anyone care to explain why they are changing IPs if they are set to static ?

5 x of cameras are connected straight into the NVR, and other 3 are on a unmanaged TP link switch. TP switch gets connected to 1 of the POE ports back of the NVR.

Thank you

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
5 x of cameras are connected straight into the NVR, and other 3 are on a unmanaged TP link switch. TP switch gets connected to 1 of the POE ports back of the NVR.

I've seen this work, but it's not the proper way.. Which cameras are changing ip adress? Would it be the ones going to the switch that is connectrd to 1 poe port on the back of the nvr?

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
plug your tp link poe switch into a vacant router port. I'm gonna assume you did it this way because it was easier to run the cables like you have them, but each poe port on the back of the nvr is suposed to be for only 1 camera.

You may have to run a cable from your router to the TPlink poe switch, then each camera from the tplink switch may need to be set for DHCP just until they aquire an ip address that may be totally different than the cameras attached to the back of your nvr.

After the cameras aquire a new ip you can make them static. Do a camera search with the nvr and add each one. i still am not sure why the static ip is changing in the camera if it is set to static, seems it wouldnt change.

This is not the ideal way as each camera works best attached to the poe port provided by the nvr. and is isolated from you wan network by having the nvr between the router and cameras.

Others may have a better answer.

Reaction score
Cheers - The router is next to the NVR so its possible.

Yes I have done it this way as they had 1 camera already in the workshop but wanted more, so the switch was ideal.

I will try your method and go from there. Indeed, if its static how is it possibly to change? Unless the NVR is forcing it to ?

IPCamer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So the unmanaged TP-link does not have PoE and the 3 camera connected are using a external power supply to operate ?
You could have a look at the solution mentioned in this forum tread , even if you do not use a PoE-switch the procedure seems to me the same.

IPCamer

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you connect a camera to a NVRs PoE port, you have to set the network settings of the camera to use DHCP. Did find some more relevant info here.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm still a bit puzzled why the ip address would change on the cameras that are connected to the switch in the shop. You obviously have not added more cameras than your NVR is capable of processing. While 1 poe port on the back of the nvr is most likely 100mb, which is more than enough bandwidth for 3 cameras. I'm sure nothing but the 3 cameras are connected to the TP link poe shop switch or there is some config info missing from your discription.

Not all small poe switches have uplink ports, but it shouldn't matter. I also feel your poe switch is in fact a switch and not some extender? I've used small poe switches with 2 uplink ports and some have a toggle switch that when set to VPN can seperate each poe port so they can only talk to the uplink port but not to one another. If you have extended transmission checked on the nvr's poe port you have going to the switch that will limit the bandwidth to 10mb...but i still see no reason for the cameras to change ip adress once they are set to static.

Some of our larger jobs we've done in the past, their IT guys would allow us to use their top end switches, by discussing what they wanted the camera ip range to be, apply the subnet mask for how many cameras we installed and we pre-programed each camera with a unique static ip that didn't conflict with whatever they had going on and used whichever poe ports they allocated on multiple switches throughout the complex.